Tax Question

Canada Immigration Forum (discussion group)            
Subject: Tax Question

I am a landed immigrant. I landed in Canada in October 2005. I plan to move to Canada sometime in August 2006.

DO I need to file a tax return for year 2005 in Canada. I currently live in the US.

Thanks very much for your help!

best regards,

(in reply to: Tax Question)
you should consult a tax accountant for a more specific answer, but residence for immigration purposes and residence for tax purposes are two different things. Though residency rules for tax purposes can be complicated, in general you become a resident of Canada for tax purposes when you establish residential ties with Canada. If you land but immediately returned to another country without establishing residential ties in Canada, you are not a resident for tax purposes. Note, if your spouse or common-law partner is a resident of Canada different rules may apply.


Thanks (in reply to: Tax Question)

Thanks very much for the information!



Reply to the Tax Question posting
Submission Code (SX2624) Copy The Code From The Left found in the brackets
Reply Subject
Reply Message

Canada Immigration Forum at Canadian Cities Website. Imigrants helping imigrants! Follow Oliver Lepki on Google+!
Web Site Design -