Can I obtain a SIN?

Canada Immigration Forum (discussion group)            
Subject: Can I obtain a SIN?
  I was just wondering if someone could help me. I have been in Canada for 2 years, I entered on a study visa, which has now expired. I married my now wife in 2006 (she is a Canadian citizen).

As things stand right now I am still in Canada but unable to work legally. I am working under the table to provide for my wife and baby (not legal I know but I don´t have a choice). My wife is going to sponsor me under the family sponsor, so I can have PR.

Is there anyway to get a SIN number so I can work legally. I have tried to get one before, but because I have no status I can´t. I cannot afford the cost of the application right now...I only have to get a medical then I can send of my papers for PR under the spouse sponsorship.

So basically I just want to ask what would be the most logical thing to do at this point? Can I obtain a SIN, maybe with a temporary residency visa or something? Basically I just need to be able to work so my family can eat, I don´t think that is too much to ask.

Thank you.

(in reply to: Can I obtain a SIN?)

No you can´t.

IF you apply as a family member from within Canada, once you are approved in principle then you may apply for a work permit and a SIN number.

Try to work in your status as soon as you can, if you get caught is going to be more expensive.

Sin number (in reply to: Can I obtain a SIN?)
I have to ask this........

Your WIFE is a Canadian citizen? What is stopping her from working ? You can stay home and care for the kid, she works to support the family. Is that so hard to do?

Follow the rules, please. Canadians don´t like people who cheat the legal/immigration system, as you have admitted to doing .

Jim Bunting. Toronto.

Canadian Citizen
(in reply to: Can I obtain a SIN?)
The fact that my wife is still pregnant kind of hinders things, who is going to employ a pregnant person?

It´s not like I want to break the rules, I tried everything not to. The legal and immigration system is so screwed up, not many people have a choice.

I do not mean this next comment to be in a any way racist, or derogatory to any people of different ethnicity. But if I was from a country less fortunate than the U.K. I would have been given pretty much everything. I was surprised by how little being from a country that is part of the commonwealth has helped me. This seems to be a general opinion among my friends and family members, and random people.

Now I have to splash out for a medical for the spouse sponsorship program, which is like $500. Then they expect your spouse to support you for all that time, on one income (that´s not including children). We could barely pay the rent and bills, so how the hell can we have $500 spare? It just seems like we are getting dumped on by the immigration system.

Thank you for all you replies though, much appreciated.

Reply to the Can I obtain a SIN? posting
Submission Code (SX933) Copy The Code From The Left found in the brackets
Reply Subject
Reply Message

Canada Immigration Forum at Canadian Cities Website. Imigrants helping imigrants! Follow Oliver Lepki on Google+!
Web Site Design -