Divorce when Permanent Resident

Canada Immigration Forum (discussion group)

Subject: Divorce when Permanent Resident
  Hello. My name is Jennifer. I am an American living in New Brunswick, Canada. My husband (a Canadian Citizen) sponsored me as I applied to become a Permanent Resident of Canada. I have been a PR since January 2002. I have not become a Citizen of Canada.

Earlier this year I renewed my PR Card that is good for 5 years. However, now my husband has left me and wants to get a divorce.

My question is: Does the fact that he will be seeking a divorce from me affect my Permanent Resident status? Am I still allowed to stay here in this country even after the divorce is final?

My life is here now. My job, my friends, my church. Don´t get me wrong, I love my country (USA) but I want to live here.

Am I worrying for nothing?


Jennifer Johnson
(in reply to: Divorce when Permanent Resident)
You can stay in Canada since your divorce will not affect your permanent resident status.
Divorce when Permanent Resident (in reply to: Divorce when Permanent Resident)
Hi Jnnifer,

You dont need to woory about your status now or even citizenship, divorce does not affect any of these and moreover, his the one seeking divorce. What can affect your status is if you have nay crim or committed any offnce that is Indictable.

Stay bless.

David Jeng
Thanks. (in reply to: Divorce when Permanent Resident)
Thanks. I didn´t think that there would be a problem, but you never know. My problem is that I think too much. LOL
Jennifer Johnson
Divorce when Permanent Resident (in reply to: Divorce when Permanent Resident)

You are already a canadian citizen DE FACTO !
You marital status does not impact you PR status at all.

You are safe :-) :-)


(in reply to: Divorce when Permanent Resident)
Emeda, read her post again please. She s NOT a citizen. However, her status as a permanent resident will not be compromised by a divorce.

Citizenship must be applied for after specific residency requirements have been met.

(in reply to: Divorce when Permanent Resident)
Right. I am not a Canadian citizen. I do qualify to become a citizen though. I have lived in Canada for nearly 9 years now.

But...because the American Government frowns on people who willingly fill out paperwork to become a citizen of another country...I am not willing to take any chances. I rather like being an American Citizen.

Thank you for all your help.

Jennifer Johnson
jennifer johnson (in reply to: Divorce when Permanent Resident)
Hello! I am curious to know more about this kind of situation.. I am an US citizen who obtained permanent residence, lived in Quebec for 18 years and divorced. My children are with their father in Quebec as well and I have returned to the US to go to university. My question is, my PR card has expired already (didn´t realize till too late) Am I still considered a PR because my kids are there? (All under 18) I would really appreciate help on this! (And I loved living in Quebec too!)
I don´t know if I will get an email response that someone responded to this but email me at femme.sourde@gmail.com


kristine gauna
(in reply to: Divorce when Permanent Resident)
how long have you been living outside of Canada?
Canadian immigration/divorce laws (in reply to: Divorce when Permanent Resident)
Dear fellow forum readers:

As a troubled spouse experiencing hardships with my wife who is also my sponsor in obtaining my legal permanent residency, I am concerned about losing my PR card. Sadened by our circumstances, I still want to maintain my friendship with her adult children by staying in Canada. Can anyone out there cite the particular Canadian immigration laws and sections that clearly state the rules about sponsored permanent residents obtaining a divorce and the resulting outcome to the immigrant.

David Patriquin
Replies (in reply to: Divorce when Permanent Resident)
David - Are you still in the process of getting your PR Card or have you already got it? If you already have your PR Card then how long have you had your PR card?

My soon-to-be ex-husband is my sponsor as well, although, that is up in January 2011 and I have a job to support myself anyway. She is supposed to support you for up to 10 years (3 years in Quebec) no matter the status of your relationship. Unless things have changed but I don´t think so. Support meaning, she has to provide for you not to go into the "welfare" system for that length of time.

If you are currently in the process of getting the PR card, I am not sure how that will work. You get a divorce and the gov´t might think that you want to come into Canada under false pretenses. And possibly reject it unless you change it to "Skilled Worker" or something like that.

But..this all depends on your status with the PR which would help clarify some of this.

Kristine - I emailed you at your personal email.