Getting married

Canada Immigration Forum (discussion group)            
Subject: Getting married
Hi - I came to Canada on tourist visa and now my marriage has been arranged by my parents ( in our culture we have arrange marriages) . My to be wife is a PR - If I get married in Canada ...will I be able to stay back till my sponsorship application is approved or do I have to return back?
(in reply to: Getting married)
Which one are you going to apply, the outland or in-land application?

Outland: faster, most recommended, right to appeal, get your landing visa at oversea visa office and land in Canada.

Inland: slower, no appeal right, land in a local immigration office in Canada.

(in reply to: Getting married)
Thank you for the prompt reply ! I am confused...outland says right to appeal. so if I go in for outland then can i stay here till approval then go back and come? If I select - Inland then can I stay here? and any chances I would be rejected in inland ?
(in reply to: Getting married)
Great North Immigration
Canadian Immigration Consultantss

Professional assistance with all Canadian immigration matters by licensed & insured practitioners

* Visitor Visas
* Permanent Residence
* Canadian Experience Class
* Skilled Workers
* Family/Spousal Sponsorships
* Business Immigration
* PR Card Application/Renewal & Residency Obligation

* Live-in Caregivers

* Status Extensions/Restorations
* Temporary Resident Permit
* Immigration File review
* Representation and IRB hearings and appeals
* Assistance with applications at the consulate in Buffalo and US-Canada land crossings

Tel:416-9048210 or 416-3889443

46 St. Clair Ave East, Suite 202B
Toronto, ON M4T 1M9


(in reply to: Getting married)
Read the following:

Outland or inland?

Now you need to decide if to apply outland or inland. If your spouse is not in Canada and can not get a visa to go to Canada, you must apply outland. That means that you will send your application to Mississauga and they will approve you as a sponsor. The time that takes is usually 1-2 months to but current processing times can be seen here: After that, the application is forwarded to your local visa office. If your spouse is residing in a country other than the country of their nationality, you can pick which of the two visa offices you want. Otherwise it will be processed in their country of nationality. You can see the processing times here:

If your spouse is staying in Canada as a visitor or on some other visa, you can pick whether you want to apply outland or inland. Outland is generally faster and has appeal rights but a downside to outland is that if an interview is required, your spouse will have to travel to the visa office in the country where it´s being processed. Inland has the downside that it´s generally not advised that your spouse travels while you are waiting for your processing because it is a requirement of inland that they reside in Canada and if they are denied entry at the border for some reason, your application is gone. If an interview is required for inland, you may also have to wait a long time for it. The inland application would be sent to Vegreville and if all goes well, you would get a first stage approval, usually in 6 to 8 months. The current processing times can be seen here: Then the file is forwarded to your local CIC office where you live and they will contact you for a landing appointment. Getting the PR with inland usually takes 12-18 months. If an interview is required for inland, Vegreville will not give first stage approval but instead will forward the application to the local CIC office without it and you will have to wait for them to have time for your interview. In some cases that can take a year or two. If you do get the first stage approval, your spouse will usually be eligible for health care and an open work permit. It is actually a good idea when applying inland to send an application form for a visit visa extension as well as the open work permit to be given at first stage approval all in one package so it´s tied together.

Which method to pick depends on your situation. If your spouses country of nationality has a long processing time or your spouse does not want to have to travel there for a possible interview, then inland is the way to go. For faster processing and freedom of travel during the processing time, outland would be better. You can find the application forms for inland at and the application forms for outland at

Avoiding potential problems with your application

The most common reason for people to be called for an interview is that the visa officer has doubts about the relationship being genuine. It is up to you to send immigration some quality data, emails, chat logs, phone records, photos, letters and other material to prove to them that your relationship is the real thing. Other reasons you might have problems with is eligibility of the sponsor. The sponsor can not be on social assistance, can not be bankrupt and can not have a record of violent crimes or crimes against family members. If that is the case, better talk to a lawyer and get that cleared up before attempting to apply.


Reply to the Getting married posting
Submission Code (SX15426) Copy The Code From The Left found in the brackets
Reply Subject
Reply Message

Canada Immigration Forum at Canadian Cities Website. Imigrants helping imigrants! Follow Oliver Lepki on Google+!
Web Site Design -