Passport request- but would like to postpone.

Canada Immigration Forum (discussion group)            
Subject: Passport request- but would like to postpone.
  I applied for the Canadian Immigration in March 2004, and recently got the passport request. Does it mean that my application has been accepted and immigration visa will be issued?

If that is the case, how soon do I have to land in Canada?

In the meantime, I got a very good job in another country and would like to move to canada only about 2 years later. Is it possible to postpone my immigration?

Thanking you all in advance.

(in reply to: Passport request- but would like to postpone.)
Okey... here is the deal...

You can send the passport and get the visa. A Visa is issued for a period of 1 year from the day you took the medical examination.

Assuming you took the medicals on say 5th April 2005, your visa will be valid until 4th April 2006.

In this time you have to do the landing or else you will have to go do another medical examination and get a new visa.

What I would suggest is that you get the visas done. Go visit Canada and finish your landing formalities.

Once you are there... you can get your PR Card and SIN Card and other stuff and leave. You get the PR Card and SIN card in 3 weeks of landing in the Toronto area... I am not sure of any other delayes if any in other places.

Once you have the PR card you can leave Canada. You have to live 2 years out of 5 years in Canada since the day you immigrate...

So weigh out your options and decide what you want to do...

If you choose to delay your landing you will just be getting into more proceedural work which I personally believe you should avoid...

May be you can land in Canada just like a month before your visas expire... this can sort of delay it a bit...

But its your call...

Good Luck,
- HS -

- HS -
(in reply to: Passport request- but would like to postpone.)
To add to this, your passport request stipulates a time limit before which you must send it to the embassy ? usually 60 or 90 days. Failing to do so may result in a refusal of your application.

I would heed the advice given by HS. Send in your passport, land in Canada before your visa expires, and then return to your country for up to three years before having to return to Canada again to maintain PR status.

You really don?t even have to wait for your SIN card or PR card before you return. A PR card is not a legal document and does not serve as proof of PR status. The proof of PR status is actually found in your paperwork. A PR card simply provides the bearer with a presumption of PR status upon reentry to Canada. Returning to Canada without it means there will be a presumption of non status, leaving the burden of proof with you to provide at the port of entry. Legally speaking, one does not ever have to actually obtain a PR card, though it is highly recommended that you do. It is expected (and encouraged by CIC) that airlines will eventually refuse to issue a ticket to Canada to PRs who can not display a PR card. In such a case the PR would have to go to a Canadian embassy and apply for extra documentation.

If you absolutely must return to your country before a PR card can be issued, I would recommend arranging an address for it to be sent in Canada, and then having that person courier it to you when it arrives.

Best wishes and God bless.

Reply to the Passport request- but would like to postpone. posting
Submission Code (SX33321) Copy The Code From The Left found in the brackets
Reply Subject
Reply Message

Canadian Immigration Forum at Canada City Web Site Follow Oliver Lepki on Google+!
Web Design -