Spouse in canada

Canada Immigration Forum (discussion group)

Subject: Spouse in canada

I am a canadian PR and I just got married (in canada) to my girlfriend who is currently in canada on a long term study permit in graduate school at a top canadian university. She has more than enough points to qualify as a skilled worker (has canadian bachelors and masters degree and has 3+ years of canadian work experience). She had applied to buffalo (before meeting me) nearly 8 months ago and is waiting for medical.

Should we just write a letter to buffalo with a copy of our marriage certificate ? Do I have to fill up all the forms again ? We have been living together for a few months now in a rented appartment, so should we send a copy of the lease as well ? As a grad student she makes enough money and I have a full time job - do we also send our bank statements and such ?

I will finish my 3 years in Canada this november, so can I apply for a canadian passport seperately from my wife who, once she gets her PR will need to stay 3 more years to app for her passport ?


(in reply to: Spouse in canada)
Your wife should inform Buffalo that you got married. Send a copy of your marriage certificate and inform them that you are a PR of Canada. Also send a copy of your PR card and you can also include a copy of your tax returns for the last couple of years.

Ask them if they need additional documents.

Once your wife becomes a Canadian PR she will have to wait for 3 years (just like you) to apply for citizenship.

well (in reply to: Spouse in canada)
ok - but can i apply without her for my citizenship ? meaning - you know how you have to apply with your spouse (even if not-accompanying) when you apply for PR, does anything like that happen in the citizenship app process ?

Reply to the Spouse in canada posting
Submission Code (SX27920) Copy The Code From The Left found in the brackets
Reply Subject
Reply Message

Canadian Immigration Forum at Canada City Web Site Follow Oliver Lepki on Google+!
Web Design - Abacus.ca